Saturday, September 28, 2013

Marriage trends

This week in class we talked a lot about trends relating to the family. For example things such as marriage rates, divorce rates, and child birth rates. 
It surprised to me find that marriage rates were declining and cohabitation rates were going up. 
It seems like in the little town I'm from in Washington everyone is getting married young. So I just assumed that was the norm. In reality the average age for men and women to get married is 26 for women and 27 for men. 
Why is this number so high? 
It's because couples decide they should live together first before they get married. 
According so certain statistics {a teacher in one of my classes told me this so I don't have the source} Couples that live together before getting married have a higher chance of divorce compared to those who don't. 
So why would this be someones choice over marriage? 
There is a lot in this world that I have realized I just don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment